With the Passage Through Time Tour
Step back in time by experiencing a guided tour into the Ancient Site of Akrotiri, one of the most important prehistoric settlements dated back to the Bronze Age.
- 380€ for groups 1-4 guests
- 40€ extra per additional guest
- 3 hours
- Luxurious, fully air-conditioned Mercedez minivan with professional driver
- Meeting at Fira town or your hotel lobby
- Drive to to the south of the island
- Guided visit to the archeological site in Akrotiri
- End of the tour in Fira town or at any other agreed location
- Customise the itinerary for any last minutes changes, in order to deliver it according to your needs.
Passage Through Time Tour See the History Unfold Before Your Eyes
The volcanic eruption of the 1650BC covered the town of Akrotiri and the entire Santorini island itself. The materials have protected the buildings and their contents, just like Pompeii… only older, much older!!!
Let me introduce you to the ancient world of the Minoan-Akrotiri and unfold the lost Atlantis theory which many relate it with.
The earliest evidence for human habitation of Akrotiri can be traced back as early as the fifth millennium BC. Back then it was a small fishing and farming village. However by the end of the third millennium, this community developed and expanded significantly.
One factor for Akrotiri’s growth may be the trade relations it established with other cultures in the Aegean, as evidenced in fragments of foreign pottery at the site. Akrotiri’s strategic position on the primary sailing route between Cyprus and Minoan Crete also made it an important point for the copper trade. After that it was allowing them to become an important center for processing copper, as proven by the discovery of molds and crucibles there.
Akrotiri ’s prosperity continued for about another 500 years.
It had paved streets, an extensive drainage system, the production of high quality pottery, and further craft specialization all point to the level of sophistication achieved by the settlement. This all came to an end, however, in the late 17th century BC with the volcanic eruption of Thera.
The Minoan eruption of Thera, also referred to as the Thera eruption or Santorini eruption. It was a major catastrophic volcanic eruption with a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 6 or 7 and a dense-rock equivalent (DRE) of 60 km3 (14 cu mi). Dated to the mid-second millennium BCE, the eruption was one of the largest volcanic events on Earth in recorded history. It devastated the island of Thera (now called Santorini), and consequently the Minoan settlement at Akrotiri and communities and agricultural areas on nearby islands and the coast of Crete with a related earthquake and tsunami.
- Pickup and return from your Hotel or from Fira (meeting point at the top of cable car)
- 3 hour private tour
- Transport by luxurious, air-conditioned Mercedez minivan with professional driver
- Mineral water
What’s not included
- Admission fees to archeological site (12€ per person)
- Cable car ticket (6€ per person)
- Food, drinks and other personal expenses
- Wine tasting fees at wineries and guided tours inside museums
In case you made a deposit and are forced to cancel the trip up to 15 days before due to health issues or any other force majeure event, your deposit will be fully refunded.